Accessibility testing

In response to an OU activity, I’ve been testing accessibility software.  I chose to look at screen-reading software and tried:  NVDA, Thunder, and JAWS (public).

I found that after learning a few shortcuts I could have some success in reading … or rather hearing, text in a Word document.  However, I found the internet and specific sites very difficult to navigate.  Getting the cursor to the location of the text can be difficult and the amount of hidden page structure that is read out is distracting.

I found some of the voices, especially in the free products, difficult to decipher at first.  Although with a voice that did suite me I was able to increase the reading speed, and can imagine that it would be possible to set that speed high with practice.  This is shown in a BBC Ouch! podcast, where (at 9:15 minutes) the presenter demonstrates how quickly the screen-reader function on his mobile phone speaks.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s